Monday, June 18, 2007

Film Noir Script Part One

Greetings all.
Here is a short snippet of a scene from the film noir script:
Die Me A Genealogist which I'm sure is eagerly awaited by one and all. Let me set the scene... or better yet, no. Read the snippet and figure the scene out on your own. Hopefully, it will be clear. Or I've failed miserably as a film noir screenwriter. We shall see. If you have any comments.... er, I'd be glad to hear from you. No, seriously, I would.

Be forewarned all ye who enter: Here lie Dirty words.

SCENE: Grunge-driven back alley littered with graffiti and broken bottles. An ALLEY CAT scavenges over the garbage for breakfast.

MAINWARING (V.O.)
It isn't everyday a stranger offers you two billion dollars.

The Cat spits at something. JERRY, 55, alcoholic Chinese-American, staggers down the alley.

MAINWARING (V.O.)
It isn't everyday you murder a stranger.

The cat spits and runs off. Jerry turns around.

MAINWARING (V.O.)
It isn't everyday you meet a woman who drives you to murder.

JERRY
What the fuck are you doing here?

SCENE: A park bench. Early morning.

MAINWARING, 40, sips from a bottle in a paper bag. He has a scar from his left ear to his mouth. Jerry sits next to him, still a little tipsy from last night. Mainwaring pulls a cigarette out and lights it.

JERRY
Those things'll kill ya.

MAINWARING
I hadn't planned on living this long.

A STRAY CAT strolls by. Mainwaring picks her up.

MAINWARING (V.O.)
If it wasn't for Jerry, I'd probably have a John Doe tag on my toe down at the Seattle City morgue. He found me right after the Florida job.

SCENE: Florida Coast
Mainwaring, no scar, 30, slouches into the lobby of a flea bag hotel. USTINOV, 20, follows carrying a large worn-out bag.

MAINWARING (V.O.)
I didn't know it was my last job when I checked into that whore's paradise but I should have guessed. There were enough clues: we missed a connection, our hotel was booked solid, and I had to deal with a three-fingered hotel clerk.

Mainwaring holds up two fingers and the clerk shoves two registration cards across the counter. Mainwaring tosses $300 on top of the cards. The clerk pockets the money and hands Mainwaring two keys.

SCENE: Seedy Hotel Room.

Mainwaring looks out the drab window at the yacht harbor. He picks up a rifle scope and finds the yacht he's looking for. Ustinov cleans a high-powered rifle.

USTINOV
Bradley says you're a genius with this.

MAINWARING (V.O.)
Ustinov is a little shit. He thought he was a tough guy because he spent a weekend in jail sobering up. I've never been in jail and hope never to be. Bradley wanted me to train the little shit. I have better ways to waste my time.

Ustinov dry fires the rifle while pointing it at the window. Too close to Mainwaring for comfort. Mainwaring moves slowly at first. Then, in one quick move he slaps Ustinov hard across the face. Before Ustinov can react, Mainwaring has a knife to Ustinov's right eye.

MAINWARING
You point that thing at me again...

USTINOV
It's, it's not loaded.

MAINWARING pushes the knife closer.

USTINOV
Okay, okay.

Mainwaring sheafs his knife.

USTINOV
I was pointing it at...

Mainwaring glares at Ustinov.

USTINOV
Okay, okay.

Mainwaring grabs his coat, fedora, and heads for the door.

USTINOV
Where ya headed?

MAINWARING (V.O.)
I suppose I could have told him, but I didn't feel like handing out any peace of mind. I didn't have any, why should the little shit?

He slams the door behind him and heads for the lobby.

That's it for today. I'll be here all week and hey, let's tip our waitresses, shall we?



No comments: