Wednesday, October 14, 2009

How Many Experiments Today, Dr. Watson?

I experimented with perfect binding - the binding cheap detective novels use to keep the pages between the covers of scantily-clad dames with cigarettes hanging from the mouths while they fondle the business end of some sap's revolver.

The result was a book with a lot of pages falling on the floor like so many corpses in a gangland shoot out. This was not the result I was hoping for so I ripped the book apart like a gold-digger rips through a fortune. I sewed the loose sheets of paper up, glued them very heavily and gave them an offer they couldn't refuse. It looks and feels better and its pages also staying in one place. This is usually considered to be a good thing.

Next, I will experiment with more glue, more thread, more pages... In fact, as we speak at this moment, two books are being pressed. Both perfect binding. Both about 100 pages. Papers of different sizes though. The covers are being designed tomorrow. Or someone's waking up with a horse head in their bed. If you know what I mean.

And now, even if you don't know what I mean, a jazzy piece of music from ez2google which can be found at GarageBand.com. Listen to it, if you know what's good for ya.


No comments: