Wednesday, April 27, 2005

What in the World Happened...

... In Nebraska on this date in 1916?

My mother was born. Thus setting the stage for this blog about raamen and it's lore and love. Would my mother approve of my mating cockroaches and pigs in a blog on a food item? I don't think so. She may have never eaten raamen. She's eaten spaghetti. And what's the connection? Noodles. She did, however, instill a bit of a wanderlust in her offspring, thus giving me about two thousand addresses before I finally landed where I am now: Japan, for those interested. Other places being Washington, Wisconsin, Virginia, and a bunch of smaller places in between. (Can you think of something smaller than Lake Delton, WI?)

My mother was quite excited when I landed my first job in Japan. She started planning her vacation to visit me before I even got out of the car at the airport.

First time I stopped in on a raamen shop in Japan I was aghast. Startled. Concerned. Weirded out. Why? The presence of vermin not only on the floor and behind the counter but On the counter, on the walls, on the chopsticks. And, in one exciting moment, in the raamen. Oooh, lovely sight. Sharing your raamen with another of God's little creatures. I nearly upchucked my
sake but that would've been a waste of several hundreds of dollars of good alcohol and several hours of mindless drinking.

How can you dislike a food whose whole preparation is diametrically opposed to cleanliness and readily acceptable levels of restaurant hygene?

In the next post, more about raamen.

No comments: